There have been seven border wars to date. The seventh and current border war began when Steffon Blackgard orchestrated the Black Day and crowned himself Black King of Ebonheart after killing his uncle, Eddin Blackgard, who had been the reigning Lord of Ebonheart. This split House Blackgard into two factions (one lead by Steffon and the other lead by his great aunt, Sofina Blackgard) who are currently fighting for control of the Borderlands.
The timeline and the major events of the first five border wars have been chronicled in the book As Blood Runs Black: A Compendium of the Border Wars, written by Archmaester Vespasian.
List of border wars
- First Border Wars (c. 11,000 BAL - c. 10,000 BAL)
- Second Border Wars (c. 5,000 BAL - c. 4,000 BAL)
- Third Border Wars (12 AL - 23 AL)
- Fourth Border Wars, also known as the Keller Wars (210 AL - 232 AL)
- Fifth Border Wars, also known as the War of the Swords (~265 AL)
- Sixth Border Wars, also known as the Borderlands Conflict (298 AL - 304 AL)
- Seventh Border Wars, also known as the Fronkein, or the "Kin War" (304 AL - present)